Friday 14 April 2017

Post Op

Friday 14 April 2017

I am feeling well enough now to continue with this blog.


Thursday 6 April 2017
During the pre-op, which included blood tests, ECG, full medical history and an examination by one of Mr Kockleberg's team. The doctor listened to my lungs and heart and thought I might have a heart murmur caused by a leaking valve. Ideally he would have like me to have a ultrasound scan on my heart before the operation on the following Monday but didn't think it would be possible. I could visualise the operation being postponed. The doctor decided to take advice from the on-call consultant who thought the operation should go ahead because I was fit enough to walk my dogs twice a day and go running occasionally.

Monday 10 April 2017
Up at 4:30am! Sandra and our next door neighbour Margaret left for Leicester General Hospital at 5:30am.  The roads were pretty clear and we had no trouble getting to the hospital in time for the stated time of 7:15am.  I was the first to arrive and had to wait in a room as others arrived.  At 7:15 we were all taken through to the ward and booked in. At this stage I was still dressed and sitting in a small area in the ward watching TV.  Various people came to see me. The anaesthetist came to check that I wasn't allergic to anything and explained what would happen pre and post op. Mr Koclleberg's Registrar discussed the operation and made sure I understood what was going on. Finally Mr Kockleberg himself came to see me and said that a ultrasound heart scan had been arranged and off I went to have that done. Lots of waiting followed and at 1pm I asked one of the nurses what was happening and she said they were just waiting for a call from the theatre and they would take me down. I changed into a gown and elastic socks and as soon as I was changed I was taken down to theatre. Just outside of the theatre I had to lay on a trolley while the anaesthetists did their magic with injections and oxygen. 

The next thing I'm aware of is coming awake on a bed in the recovery room at about  6;30pm  A doctor by my side  asking how I feel. I said I felt ok and would like to talk to my wife so he called Sandra and I was able to say that it was all over and I was ok. 

From there I was taken to ward 26 and closely monitored by the staff there. Under the circumstances I slept pretty well and did not need any pain relief during the night. My blood pressure, heart rate and temperature were regularly checked during the night.

Tuesday 11 April 2017
Looking back this was the worst day. 
I had breakfast - cornflakes - coffee - orange juice. A 1mg shot of morphine. Then I got out of bed to sit in the chair and wondered why I felt sick!  I wasn't sick but I did feel rough. I was visited by lots of people during the day and aqll of them wanting to know how I felt and was I in any pain. It was difficult to explain - It was painful to bend and to take deep breaths but no more than I would have expected. On the whole I didn't feel too bad under the circumstances. One thing I must mention is that you lose all dignity.  Everyone want to have a look at the wounds and dressings so you just pull up your gown and let them look!  Not the most pleasant sight especially when there is a catheter hanging out of your willy!
Sandra came to visit in the afternoon and it was great to see her - I think it has been more emotional for her than it has for me. I called it a day at 8:30 and went to bed and had a pretty good nights sleep. 

Wednesday 12 April 2017
After the visit by the Ward Sister and her team on the shift change over, the Registrar and her junior doctors came to see me and told me I would be going home today. Catheter out, shave and a shower and I feel a lot better.  All I have to do now is pee in three bottles and then have an ultrasound scan to make sure my bladder is emptying properly.  Two hours later and not a drop!  I forced myself to go - tuning on taps etc. and managed  a dibble.  Another hour and another dribble. Sandra and Mac arrived to pick me up and I still had to do the third bottle. I did and they scanned me but another sample was required. I eventually did enough to satisfy everyone and the scan was ok. I just had to wait for my discharge. While I'm waiting I could pee for England! 
Eventually with letters for my GP and Practice Nurse we are on our way home through The Leicester Rush Hour.
Great to be home but I am ready for bed a 9pm.

Thursday 13 April 2017
Every day I am feeling much better. Today I showered but stayed in my pyjamas and dressing gown and didn't move around much. A visit from our friends - Ann and Dave was very welcome. Reading a book and watching TV and off to bed at 9:30.

Friday 14 April 2017
Had a great nights sleep and only got up once during the night. Felt much more comfortable in bed and most of the pain has now subsided. Emma & Nick are on their way to stay with us until Monday so looking forward to seeing them. 
Everything seems to be going well and I know it will be some time before I am fully fit again but the worst is over and I no longer have cancer!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful news Ian, take it slowly and recovery will come. Time to get on with your life now! Lots of love to all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete